Date and comune where my great-great-grandfather was born.

Do you speak English? Are you searching for your Ancestors in Italy? Post here your request. We’ll do our best to help you.

Moderatori: Staff, Collaboratori

Rispondi
blasala
Livello1
Livello1
Contatta:

Date and comune where my great-great-grandfather was born.

Messaggio da blasala »

Hi. Like the title says, I'm looking for the date and comune where my great-great-grandfather was born. A precise date would be nice but I can do with a narrower range than I already have.

His name was Vincenzo Lasala or La Sala and he was born in the Province of Cosenza in Calabria to Cesare Lasala or La Sala and Monica Bompina. This is according to the certificates I have of his marriage and the birth of his son, both of which took place in Buenos Aires. He emigrated from Italy in 1886 on a ship called Orione which departed from Genoa.

According to the documents I gathered, he was:
17 by November 23 of 1886
23 by November 5 of 1891
38 by October 5 of 1906
58 by May 16 of 1927

My math skills are not very sharp and I have to assume a margin of error of at least plus or minus 1 year. So my best guess is that he was born between 1866 and 1870. If you're good at math and understand how dates work then it's possible that this range could be narrowed very easily.

This is all the information I have regarding when and where he was born in Italy. All the other information I have is from his life in Buenos Aires.

I recently sent an email to the Archivio di Stato of the Province of Cosenza asking if they could tell me what comune he was from from. I told them his name, the name of his parents and the approximate date of his birth, but only from 1866 to 1869. They replied today with the following message:

"Oggetto: Richiesta fondo Ufficio Leva ─ Distretto militare.

In riscontro alla richiesta da Lei inoltrata il 08/09/2020, si comunica che la ricerca espletata nel Fondo in oggetto ha dato esito negativo."

I don't know if this means they only searched the military records. If so, it would make sense that nothing came up since my great-great-grandfather was around 17 when he left Italy. Unless they also searched for his father. Maybe this increases the possibilites that he was born between 1869 and 1870.

I will greatly appreaciate any help I can get and I will happily provide any further information that might be useful. Thank you!

mmogno
Collaboratore
Collaboratore
Contatta:

Re: Date and comune where my great-great-grandfather was born.

Messaggio da mmogno »

Pobabilmente il cognome di Monica era Bombino
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?” 🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦 🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱

blasala
Livello1
Livello1
Contatta:

Re: Date and comune where my great-great-grandfather was born.

Messaggio da blasala »

Hi, thanks for the reply! I thought the names could be wrong in some way, especially that one because I couldn't find it in places like cognomix. I just didn't know what could be a possible correct version because it's spelled Bompina in all the certificates I have (except in one where it's spelled Bomina) and because I'm not very familiar with how Italian last names work or what normal Italian last names should sound like. So thanks again! I will redo some searches with Bombino instead.

Rispondi